Sensitive skin is a subject that almost everyone is familiar with. However, there is so much of confusion around it as well. Generally, people believe that if a cosmetic product causes abnormal experience, they have sensitive skin. However, that’s not it! There may be other reasons for it too.
The Dermatologists look for the following issues when diagnosing sensitive skin:
- Skin reactions like skin bumps, skin erosion, or pustules
- Very dry skin that doesn’t protect nerve endings in the skin properly
- A tendency toward blushing and skin flushing
Sensitive skin can lead to other problems. Therefore, you should be aware of the skin sensitivity facts like causes, preventions and symptoms.
What causes sensitive skin?
There are various reasons that may cause sensitive skin. These reasons differ from person to person. However, some generally accepted causes include:
- Skin disorders such as eczema, rosacea, or allergic contact dermatitis may result in skin sensitivity.
- There is a role of overly dry or injured skin also. Excessive dry skin cannot protect nerve endings, and it leads to skin reactions.
- Exposure to the sun, wind or excessively hot or cold temperature can also play a part in causing skin sensitivity.
- Factors like genetic qualities, gender, race, and age can also cause sensitive skin. These are, nevertheless, issues of debate among medical experts.
Who are at the risk?
The following conditions put someone at risk of skin sensitivity:
- Skin infections: A person with skin problems, as mentioned above, is more likely to develop skin sensitivity.
- Relatives with sensitive skin: Your genes put you at a higher risk of having sensitive skin. If you have someone in the family with skin sensitivity, you’re likely to develop the condition too!
Do I have sensitive skin?
To determine if you have sensitive skin or not, you should look for the signs of skin sensitivity. Few signs that may tell if your skin is sensitive or not are:
- Reaction to the weather: Hot weather often leaves a sensitive skin rash while also causing redness and/or tightness. Hot weather can also cause acne breakouts on sensitive skin. Whereas, cold weather and harsh winds bring dryness and irritation to sensitive skin.
- Reaction to soaps: If you have sensitive skin, soaps with fragrance will not give you a pleasant experience. Using scented soaps might leave your skin dry and irritated.
- After shave: In men, sensitive skin does not react well with shaving. After a shave, men may have redness on their skin. Moreover, a feeling of burning sensation may also join the redness.
Prevention of sensitive skin
With some precautions in mind, you can prevent yourself from skin sensitivity. Moreover, if your skin is already sensitive, you can mitigate the effects of it by following some steps:
- Don’t overuse soap: Try not to wash your face with soap. If you do so, do it only once a day. Overuse of soap may leave your skin dry and itchy.
- Make smart choices: When it comes to cosmetic products, you should avoid trying too many. It has been observed that people who try too many cosmetic products often end up having a sensitive skin. Moreover, always look at the contents when you buy a cosmetic product. Don’t trust the fragrance!
- Moisturizer: Use moisturizer to prevent your skin from dryness. Dry skin often leads to skin sensitivity.
- Stay away from extreme weather: In conditions of extreme cold or heat, save your skin from getting affected.
Best Treatments for Sensitive Skin at MedLinks
The sensitive skin treatment at MedLinks begins with a proper clinical examination. Skin sensitivity is a crucial condition and it must be treated very carefully. Experts at MedLinks ensure that treatment choices are applied after a detailed study of the skin type for every individual.
At MedLinks, the Dermatologist checks for skin conditions like eczema, rosacea, or contact with a skin irritant. Further, a skin patch test is used to check for any allergies you might have. It will be followed by a discussion about your skin care plan. This discussion helps the MedLinks expert to determine if you accidently use any skin irritant. Often, the treatment includes prescribing mild products to relieve your skin from sensitivity.
Why should you choose MedLinks?
Our experts understand the problem of sensitive skin in detail. At MedLinks, every patient is treated independently with personalized attention. The Dermatologist starts the treatment with a close clinical examination. As our experts are highly-qualified and well-trained, you don’t need to worry about your sensitive skin.
Quickly book an appointment with one of our experts today, if you’re looking for sensitive skin treatment in Delhi, Gurgaon.