A treatment method used by the Dermatologists, split-thickness skin graft (STSG) is a skin graft including the epidermis and part of the dermis. For their usefulness in the larger areas, split-thickness grafts are often used. Moreover, the rate of auto-rejection is considerably low in this method. This method is useful and effective to treat various skin conditions, including Leukoderma.
Key benefits of Split Thickness Skin Grafting:
This method of skin grafting has many benefits. Some of them are:
- Split-thickness skin grafting is useful for large skin injuries.
- Useful for deep and widespread skin burn
- The wound on the donor site is healed quickly, approx in 2 weeks.
- Highly effective: This method is highly effective to treat the conditions causing loss of pigmentation in the skin and other injuries.
- Same site harvesting: The split-thickness skin grafting can be performed at the same donor site after six weeks.
- Fewer chances of auto-rejection
How does the procedure work?
The procedure of split-thickness skin grafting is almost same as other methods of skin grafting. However, there are some key changes. The thickness of this graft depends on the donor site and the patient’s needs. This procedure can be processed through a skin mesher, which makes apertures onto the graft, allowing it to expand up to nine times its size. The skin is obtained and placed at the site of skin loss.
Your expectations from the treatment:
This method is highly effective as there are fewer chances of auto-rejection in split-thickness skin grafting. Moreover, as the wound on the donor site does not take more than two weeks to heal, it is comfortable for the person undergoing skin grafting. You can book an appointment with MedLinks experts to understand the procedure better and take a session of split-thickness skin grafting.
Average rating: 0 reviews